Monday, August 6, 2012

I am a Raw Artist


I had the pleasure in June to be featured in an art showcase held by RawArtist.org. I really appreciate organizations like Raw, because not every market recognizes that hair and makeup can be an artform. After being selected to be Junes featured makeup artist I was told the greatest thing ever... you have free reign of the looks you want to present. HOLY COW! I was thrilled and a million ideas went through my head. I was really ready to own this show case. I had one month to plan this and I knew I wanted it to be great.
http://www.rawartists.org/lvmakeupdesigns
I went crazy- planning my looks, casting models, trying to decide what the girls are walking to. Oh wait I have changed my mind they aren't walking... they are posing. I had 6 models, then 14 models, then the day of I dropped to 10 models. My biggest concern was: either this going to be something to remember or am I going to make a huge jack ass out of myself.

I over shopped, over sketched and threw half of my ideas out.   I started over and doubted myself all the way up to the moment the first model arrived to get their makeup done. Im thinking I would have been a crying mess the entire time I planned if it weren't for Julie who was my assistant.. the entire time being my number one cheering squad. And not to mention, Eileen, my hairstylist, who was literally just making sure that I remember this show was about me and no else. If it weren't for them, I would have been a complete train wreck.


On top of my showcase, I was responsible for the looks and putting together a team of makeup artists to provide for the fashion designers on site as well. I am grateful for the team of makeup artists I had to handle that portion of the show while I concentrated on my looks.

We prayed, I cried, we clapped, and then it was showtime!
minutes before showtime
My models had a hard job, and I mean that seriously- mannequin modeling is no joke. They stood out there for two hours with people coming up inches from their faces looking at them inspecting my work. It was really overwhelming to see them posing in the center, surrounded by great art work. People were coming up and asking me how I did certain things, telling me that I did a good job, and these were people that never met me in their life they were giving me their true unbiased opinion. It was great and I felt so proud.


By the time I blinked the night was over and I found my self cleaning the green room up saying my thank yous and good byes.

I am proud of my work and I am excited to participate in more art shows like this. I really hope Kansas City is ready for me next year when I go up there to debut my work in their market


1 comment:

  1. I have never been more proud of you!! You and Eileen kicked some serious booty in June/July.

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete